September 27, 2016
Benz Lightning Cleanze can be used on canvas at a dilution of 10:1 but we only suggest using it as a “rescue” cleaner on old canvas that is in a very bad way.
(Lightning Cleanze is the new name for "Blackwash" mentioned in the video, and Bio Cleanze is the new name for Biocidal Wash)
1. Treating canvas could change the colour. A small unseen test patch will tell you what the results will be. It all depends on the condition of the canvas, whether natural or synthetic, and if the material it has a protective coating.
Quick tip: If the canvas has recently been treated with a good quality protective water-proof coating then it will probably be safe to soft wash it.
2. Lightning Cleanze could potentially damage natural fibres like cotton and hemp, and could lighten the colouring of non-porous artificial materials. This is especially true if used to regularly maintain canvas.
Over time stitching and natural canvas fibres may start degrading.
To reduce the possibility of damaging the canvas, keep the contact time of Lightning Cleanze to a minimum and rinse thoroughly.
3. Benz Bio Cleanze diluted 40/50:1 is our preferred choice for cleaning canvas canopies, awnings and umbrellas, especially for repeated maintenance treatments.
Bio Cleanze will take longer to work than Lightning Cleanze. So we suggest treating the canvas, allowing it to activate and dry for up to a couple of hours, then lightly rinsing it.
1) Bio Cleanze does not usually need rinsing. But when treating canvas canopies, awnings and umbrellas we strongly suggest rinsing. This is because rinsing will avert any possibility of diluted Bio Cleanze dripping onto people who sit under the canopy when it's raining. The danger is extremely small but better to be safe than sorry.
2) If needed, it's a good professional practice to spray canvas with a water-proofing agent following cleaning. Waterproofing agents for canvas are often added during manufacture but tend to wear off over time through natural weathering and repeated cleaning.
How to find answers to most soft washing questions: Simply enter a relevant "keyword" or short phrase – e.g. keyword for the above link = "how to" – into our in-site Search Engine (magnifying glass icon on the main menu).
GB (England, Scotland, Wales)
Phone: 0800 70 74 222
Ireland and other countries
Phone: 00353 214 622 978
Lines open Monday - Friday, 9am – 5pm
Please note: The above numbers are for orders only (click here for tech support)
We hope this information is helpful and sincerely wish you great success in your soft washing business,
Ben, Leo, Fiona, Stevie & Anthony
PS: After completing the first soft wash treatment, put your customer on a "Clean & Maintain" ongoing maintenance programme. Your customers will enjoy a permanently clean property and you will enjoy a steady stream of repeat business.
This is clearly a win-win arrangement for both customer and contractor.
Comments will be approved before showing up. Please revisit to read our response.
May 17, 2022
Is it safe to use a sodium hypochlorite (sh) based product – such as Benz Lightning Cleanze softwash biocide – with ropes, or will it damage them?
Click the link on this page to find out ...
May 11, 2022
Why should you use Benz Tornado Cleanze, a powerful softwash cleaning gel? What are its uses and advantages?
Click the link on this page to find out ...
May 03, 2022
Shadow, or "ghost" staining may sometimes remain after soft washing. Customers can misinterpret this as poor workmanship. But fortunately there's a simple solution that keeps everyone happy.
Click the link on this page to find out what it is ...
It's a free resource for people wanting to learn about the soft washing industry, to expand an existing business, or build a new business.
Soft washing reduces, or even eliminates, the need to use high-pressure washing.
Instead, once the build up of algae, lichen, fungus, moss and mould – the root causes of properties looking "dirty" – has been treated, the natural "self-cleansing" of sun, rain and wind removes the surface residue through time.
By educating the cleaning trade and public about soft washing we are helping develop an industry that offers sustainable treatments to clean and maintain exterior hard surfaces.
Subscribe to our free trade tips blog to download your "Professional Soft Wash Contractors Pricing Guide".
The free guide shows you – step by step – how to easily, quickly, and accurately create softwash business quotes.
This saves you time, is a highly professional approach, and increases your chances of winning new contracts.