How can you prevent marks remaining on render after softwashing? (video how-to)
A customer told us he’d treated KRend with Benz Lightning Cleanze but some marks remained. He wanted to know why this could be and what we suggested he did.
If it was a very hot day when the KRend render was treated with Lightning Cleanze, it may have "boiled off" soon after application.
This, combined with the porous nature of KRend, and all wall renders, may have meant that the chemical didn’t stay on the surface long enough to do it's job.
1) Lightly pre-wetting the surface (a garden hosepipe is fine) prior to application in hot conditions. This will cool the surface and mean that the likelihood of Lightning Cleanze boiling off is significantly reduced.
It's important that the surface remain wetted by Lightning Cleanze for at least 30 minutes, and ideally 60 minutes, following application. This allows the chemical time to work.
2) Ensure your Lightning Cleanze mix is 5:1
3) Avoid applying in very hot sun. Work either earlier or later in the day if necessary.
4) Ensure you brush Lightning Cleanze gently but firmly into the surface. This will ensure it gets deep into the biological growths that cause the "dirty" appearance.
No abrasive or aggressive scrubbing though. This is because wall render is quite a delicate building material and can be damaged by overly aggressive scrubbing.
5) Finally, rinse thoroughly.
6) For a perfect job, complete with a spray of Benz Bio Cleanze at 50:1 (40:1 in winter).
This will provide long-term biocide protection against re-colonisation. Bio Cleanze will also continue to clean the render for several months following application.
Click below to watch the video
We hope this information is helpful and inspires you to succeed in softwashing.
Ben, Leo & Fiona
Also in Benz Trade Tips
Click the link on this page to watch the video ...