How to soft wash wet dash wall render
A customer emailed us asking how to soft wash wet dash wall render without using a pressure/jet washer or harsh chemicals. He was wondering if Benz Bio Cleanze alone would do the job. And if so at what dilution ratio and should it be brushed in?
Bio Cleanze and Lightning Cleanze will restore wet dash wall render
Apply Bio Cleanze at 30:1 by spraying and then brushing-in to make sure the biofilm is saturated. The render will continue to become cleaner through time by the natural action of sun, wind and rain.
You will see a dramatic improvement within two weeks, sometimes only a few days, when the red staining should disappear. And you will see another improvement at around two months when some of the black will have gone.
From then on it's a slow but sure process of continual cleaning over the next 6-12 months, by which time the surface of wet dash render will be mostly restored.
- Sometimes there may be some light residual staining, such as darker "shadow" patches where water has been running down the wall, caused by leaking gutters, run-off from window sills, etc.
It may never be possible to remove these deeply ingrained stains completely but we've found that our customers do not consider them to be a problem and are always delighted with the results.
- Occasionally, if some particularly well-established lichen remains it may be necessary to give it a very gentle pressure/jet wash and/or another treatment.
Treat wet dash render by spraying with Lightning Cleanze at 5:1, followed by a second coat brushed in at 4:1.
Rinse well and then treat with Bio Cleanze at 50:1 to ensure all spores are dead, to give ongoing residual protection, and promote further natural deep cleaning over time.
Much of the black staining will be gone once the wet dash render has dried out and the red staining will be gone in 2-48 hours.
Treat with Bio Cleanze and return to the job after a period of time, say from 2 weeks to 4 months (the longer the better) and use Lighting Cleanze to remove the dead biofilm, which will achieve a faster result than leaving it to nature alone.
A very heavy, well-established biofilm is easier to remove with Lightning Cleanze once it's been treated with Bio Cleanze and left for a period of time. This will reduce the need for multiple applications of Lightning Cleanze to get the wet dash render fully clean on the same day.
With some forward planning this approach is the perfect preparation for painting previously unpainted wet dash render.
There are a number of helpful how-to pages on our website that answer all commonly asked questions about softwashing render.
- Click here to read our main render cleaning webpage (which focuses specifically on the KRend type of through-colour render)
- Click here to read our render cleaning Trade Tips posts, which cover the other types of render and resolving the various problems that can arise.
- Like most other surfaces that have been heavily colonised for many years, wet dash render may require multiple applications of Lightning Cleanze to get the render fully clean on the same day. It’s for this reason we have outlined the other methods.
- We usually treat any surrounding paths while we are treating wall render. This helps prevent spores recontaminating the wall by coming up from the paths. Our customers also appreciate our going the "extra mile" to provide them with the cleanest possible property and the best possible service.
Benz soft washing how-to videos cover every aspect of soft washing. We show you how to soft wash domestic and commercial roofs, paths and drives, tarmac, concrete, walls, wall render (including KRend, Monocouche, Weber), wet pour safety surfaces, tennis courts, car parks, wood decking, fences, sheds and more ...
Our sincere wishes for a good life and a profitable business,
Ben, Leo & Fiona
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up. Please revisit this Trade Tips post to read our response.
Also in Benz Trade Tips
The good news is that there are ZERO customs duties to pay on Benz products.
Brexit has brought about many changes and challenges to business supply chains. And there's a lot of fear floating about regarding the excess taxes being levied on customers when ordering from EU-based companies.
So we want to reassure all our customers that we are able to continue supplying both our Irish and UK customers - with no additional duty, customs costs, or delays.
Click the link on this page to find out how we've achieved this ...
In this third video in our "Building a Softwashing Van" series, Ben waterproofs the van floor. To do this he has to complete some important preparatory tasks that must be done first to ensure there are no leaks further down the line.
Click the link on this page to watch the video ...
We've been asked about the length of time a property will stay clean after being treated with Benz Bio Cleanze or Perma Cleanze (both products have the same active ingredient: DDAC). So we wrote this Trade Tips post to explain.
Click the link on this page to read the full article ...